If you are as loaded and ready to play the Marvel Superstars Trading Card Game as we are, you cannot get enough new information about how things will work. Today we will review basic gameplay, continuing to stoke the fires and start sparks.
1. You will choose a Leader character to build your deck around. Your Leader will have a team affiliation and a charge ability. Every time you play an Action card your Leader will gain one charge counter. To use your Leader’s charge ability you need to remove the number of charge counters printed before the ability. Doom forces the enemy to discard a card when he removes 3 charges. This Leader ability can only be used once per turn, and only on your turn.
Your Leader holds victory and defeat in his or her bones by keeping track of damage. Each Leader starts the game with 50 health points. Your enemy will be trying to damage your Leader throughout the game, and when the health points reach zero you lose. Each Leader starts with no attack points.
2. Resource cards provide capital for you to “pay” for Supporter characters and Action cards. You begin each game with three Base Resources, and you can place one City Resource onto the board with each successive turn. Base Resources and City Resources are both turned sideways to show that they have been spent that turn, then they are turned back upward at the beginning of your next turn. City Resources give your Leader one attack point.
3. Supporter characters are played only on your turn. They can attack the enemy Leader. They can attack enemy Supporters. They can intercept enemy attacks, redirecting the oncoming damage to themselves. Supporters can have some seriously powerful abilities. The Businessman Iron Man above swells your Leader with massive charges, as long as you can keep him in play. When a Supporter gains damage equal or greater than its health points it is eliminated and placed into your bin.
4. Action cards bring instant effects into the battle. Some are Special Actions, like the Repulsor Ray above, since they can only be played if you control a certain character. You need to have enough ready resources available to pay the cost in the upper right corner of the card. If you can afford them, Action cards are the only thing you can play on an enemy turn.
5. You will build your own deck with whatever combination of Marvel movie myths you desire. You choose a Leader and 3 Base Resources. You choose 50 other cards to surround them. You can only use 3 copies of each individual Supporter and Action, but you can add an unlimited number of your favorite Cities. If you want to add Supporters and Actions from a team that is different than your Leader, you will need to turn one extra Resource sideways to pay for it. As soon as you control a Supporter with a specific team affiliation, you pay only the printed cost of that team’s cards.
6. You will deeply enjoy the creative construction of a unique deck. You will be able to juxatpose bizarre mutant beauties with ugly underworld alterations, shining superheroes with vile villains. It will be one of the most entertaining things you will ever do.